Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Post-Op and On Hormones.

I'm going to start part of this story way back on New Year's Day… After a fun night eating tons of pizza and garlic bread with my amazing cousin and her friends, I officially started my diet on 1/1 weighing in at 325lbs. This was the heaviest I recall ever weighing and I felt like absolute garbage. On a good night, I slept maybe 4 hours tops; my back was always in pain from neck all the way down to my ass; I would get sick more often than I would like to admit, and I'm told that I snored so loud that my mother could hear me all the way upstairs.  With the plan of weight loss surgery ahead of me, I had to prove that I could lose some weight on my own before I could get approved for the operation; so I cut out about 90% of carbs from my diet. Sandwiches were now eaten rolled in themselves without bread, I stopped eating pasta (a feat which nobody in my household thought I would pull off), I cut out chips and candy bars, and started eating salads, grilled chicken, leaner cuts of meat, etc.  It was a hard task, but with the help of my wife and parents, I was able to get through it.

Fast forward to March 26th… my surgery date came quicker then I imagined it would, and I was beyond excited. I was down to just over 280lbs, and the 45lbs loss was already improving my quality of life. I was starting to sleep better, my back issues were slowly easing down; and I could breathe clearly after walking up a flight of stairs. As I walked into Huntington Hospital, I could barely hide my excitement about the amazing next set of changes that were coming to my life.

The first few weeks after surgery were actually better than I expected they would be. I had mild pain here and there, mostly discomfort when trying to sleep as I'm typically a stomach sleeper and I find it extremely difficult to get comfortable enough to sleep on my back. However by two weeks post, I was able to sleep in just about any position I liked and found new comfort laying on my side.  As time continued, I suffered from some mild post-op effects that still occasionally cause me some issues with keeping certain foods down (I'll spare the details here because nobody wants to read about that.)

Long story short, as of this writing, 7 weeks post-op, I am down to 235lbs. Every time I get on the scale and see another drop of that middle digit, I get a little misty eyed, thinking of each major landmark weight. I think about the 90lbs that I've lost in just over 5 months and wonder how I ever let myself get into such bad shape.  I still have periodic back problems, but with herniated discs, scoliosis, and stenosis, that isn't an issue that's going to be resolved anytime soon. I have a ton more energy on a regular basis, and almost always sleep through the night with little help from sleep aids. And best of all, at least according to my wife, I apparently no longer snore (at least noticeably.) This week's scale update was especially meaningful to me, because at my height of 6'2", the body mass index considers anything over 233 as clinically obese. That means that for the first time since I don’t remember when (probably middle school if not earlier), I am only 2 pounds away from not being obese anymore.  I'll admit, I did slightly more then get misty eyed at that one.

A few quick extra updates on my numbers since weight loss… When I began this journey on January 1, most of my clothes were 3XL, my waist measured at 52", my neck at 20".  Just yesterday I purchased new undershirts in a XL; I'm wearing a dress shirt with an 18" neck, and a brand new suit in a 44 waist that actually has a little room in it. Part of me never thought I would see such sizes again, and I am overwhelmed by the fact that I will now be able to go clothes shopping in actual stores instead of having to buy everything from websites or overpriced big and tall shops.
Speaking of clothes and finding sizes that fit me nicely in a store. I suppose this is a good place to move into the subject that caused me to have such an emotional meltdown that I decided to pursue weight loss surgery.

As some may remember, back in November I attempted to go shopping with a friend for Crystal clothes. None of the stores we went into, which each cater to plus size girls, had a single thing in my size and I absolutely lost it. I was half tempted to purge everything I had purchased online and just bury Crystal once and for all; however with the support of my family and friends, I pushed on. Although, since the TRCLI party that weekend, I have only been out as my authentic self once.

Now that I'm down a significant amount of weight and inches, I'm ready to start trying to shop again and begin building Crystals wardrobe. Obviously this is a matter that I have to be slow with, as tempting as it is to go on a shopping spree and get everything I've ever wanted. With roughly 30-40 more pounds to lose before I hit my actual goal weight, I can't even allow myself to shop too much for Craig.  In addition, I did hit another major milestone in the last 2 months… on April 26th; I was officially prescribed my hormones. I'm now 3 weeks in on standard low starter doses of Estrogen and androgenic blockers. So obviously it makes no sense to buy too much now, when in a few months, after some body fat and muscle mass have redistributed themselves, I'll likely need a whole new wardrobe again.  I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get out shopping for just a few basic necessities like jeans and a few tops. I am dead set against attending next month's LGBT Pride events as my old self… because after all, what's the point in attending Pride if you can't show that pride.

So I guess that's it… I didn’t expect when I sat down today to write quite so much… I originally saw this as a minor update since a lot of what I felt I had to share was a small rehash of my last post. But I guess I had more to share then I realized.  I hope I didn’t drag this out too long. Thanks for reading everyone; I hope to start posting more often soon

No comments:

Post a Comment